Notice on Various Policies and Measures to Strengthen the Leading Role of Science and Technology and Speed up the Building of an International and Innovative City
Date of Issuance: December 4, 2020
Date of record: October 21, 2020
Date of Issuance: October 28, 2020
Index number 00511755800020020200145
Code number QingZhengBanFa  No. 18
To the people's government of districts and county-level cities, the Administrative Committee of the West Coast New Area in Qingdao, departments and institutions of the municipal government:
To deepen the implementation of the strategy of innovation-driven development, promote the market-oriented allocation of production factors, support and lead high-quality development with scientific and technological innovation, and speed up the building of an international and innovative city, the following policies and measures have been studied and approved by the municipal government, and are notified hereinafter:
I. Building an important cradle for scientific and technological innovation on the east coast of China
1. Building scientific, educational and industrial combination parks with high standards. Relying on clusters of innovation resources such as Laoshan District, Qingdao West Coast New Area, Qingdao High-tech development Zone, Qingdao Oceantec Valley and Qingdao International Academician Park, to build first-class science and technology industrial parks and areas that feature strong innovation ability, outstanding industrial characteristics, and sound support for talents. Supporting the industrial parks and areas to promote the aggregation and close integration of scientific, educational and industrial resources, strengthen joint breakthroughs in key generic technologies, cutting-edge and leading technologies, modern engineering technologies and disruptive technologies, so as to create a healthy ecology conducive to innovation and entrepreneurship, and a strong science and technology industrial cluster, where the four chains merged into one chain, namely the chains of industries, capital, talents and technology. Comprehensive subsidies will be provided according to the results of the annual performance assessment.
2. Speeding up the building of the national laboratory. Supporting Qingdao National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology in its endeavors to meet the demands of building China into a strong marintime country, facilitating the laboratory's efforts to attract global talents of marine science and and technology, carrying out major tasks of the transparent ocean and environmental protection, blue life and biological resources development, marine high-end intelligent equipment and engineering technology, in the hope of making breakthroughs in major cutting-edge scientific issues, mastering key and core technology, thus creating a global innovation highland for marine science and technology. We will work proactively to secure continued support from the central and provincial governments for the laboratory so that it could be recognized at the national level as early as possible.
3. Building clusters of major scientific and technological infrastructures. Facilitating the marine ecosystem intelligent simulation research facility, and the air-breathing engine thermal physics test equipment being listed in the 14th five-year plan of the national major scientific and technological infrastructure project. Enhancing the building of the supercomputing center, and marine science expedition fleet and other facilities. Encouraging universities and other institutions to attract major national scientific and technological infrastructure to be based in Qingdao. The case-by-case approval policy will apply to the major projects.
4. Building a high-end scientific and technological innovation platform. Speeding up the building of major innovation platforms such as the National Innovation Center of High Speed Train, the Center for Ocean Mega-Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shandong Energy Research Institute, and the Space-Gound Integrated Information Network. Making forward-looking plans for national key laboratories, technological innovation centers and clinical medicine research centers, of which the newly approved could be awarded 10 million RMB at the maximum. Proceeding with the building of the Shandong Provincial Laboratory of New Energy. Supporting tertiary education institutes, enterprises, medical institutions in their endeavors to build provincial-level innovation and entrepreneurship communities, key laboratories, technological innovation centers and clinical medicine research centers, of which assessed outstanding will be provided with subsidies. Building municipal innovation and entrepreneurship communities, which could get a maximum subsidy of 20 million RMB; building municipal clinical medicine research centers, which could get a maximum subsidy of 2 million RMB. Supporting those domestically and internationally renowned universities, institutes and enterprises to set up new-type R&D institutes focusing on industrial technology research and development, of which major projects will follow the policy of case-by-case approval. The new-type R&D institutes enjoy the same policies as the scientific research institutes under the municipal jurisdiction when it comes to professional title evaluation. When importing instruments and equipment, the new-type R&D institutes under the municipal jurisdiction could enjoy tax exemption according to relevant import taxation policies.
5.Undertaking major scientific and technological tasks actively. Encouraging universities, institutes, enterprises, and other institutions to connect closer with major national science and technology projects, initiate or participate in international mega-science programs and projects. Prioritizing the provision of resources needed for such projects, and the case-by-case approval policy will apply to major projects. For the national scientific and technological major special projects and national key R&D programs implemented in Qingdao, the members of the project team will be awarded 3-5% of the actually paid amount of the nationally allocated funding. A single project may receive a maximum of 300,000 RMB, whereas a single institution that undertakes such projects may receive a maximum of 2 million RMB.
6. Deepening international scientific and technological exchanges and cooperation. Focusing on building five International Business Clubs, namely Qingdao China-Japan Cooperation Hub, Qingdao China-ROK Cooperation Hub, China-Germany Cooperation Hub, China-Israel International Business Club, and Qingdao China-SCO Countries Cooperation Hub. Relying on the market-based mechanism to speed up the building of major projects such as the Qingdao China-Japan City of Science, Tian'an China-ROK Science and Technology Park, and China-Israel Cross-border Dual-core Innovation Incubator, and support the building of high-end innovation platforms such as China-Germany Young Scientists Institute, and China-Deutschland Technology University. Supporting joint R&D of international scientific and technological projects, and encouraging Qingdao institutions to jointly apply with overseas R&D institutions and scientists for scientific and technological programs in Qingdao.
Encouraging overseas prestigious universities, institutions and enterprises to establish R&D or technology transfer institutes in Qingdao. The national or international scientific and technological cooperation bases, newly recognized or regularly assessed by the Ministry of Science and Technology, could be awarded 500,000 RMB to the maximum. And the provincial and municipal level international scientific and technological cooperation bases, once assessed as excellent, will also be awarded according to the related rules. Supporting universities, institutions and leading enterprises to establish R&D institutions overseas, once recognized as "Belt and Road" joint laboratories by the Ministry of Science and Technology, a maximum supporting fund of 5 million RMB will be provided.
Striving for the pilot of the Ministry of Science and Technology in managing foreigners coming to Qingdao. Relaxing the requirement on age and academic qualifications for the foreign professionals who have internationally recognized vocational skills certificates working in Qingdao. And the case-by-case approval policy will apply to urgently demanded foreign talents. Allowing high-end foreign talents who entered China without a working visia or residence permit to directly apply for working visia and Forengner's Work Permits in Qingdao. Allowing outstanding international students with bachelor's degrees or above to directly come to work in Qingdao after graduation. High-end foreign talents could apply for the confirmation letter for high-end foreign talents, which will be issued within three working days. Holders of this confirmation letter could apply for a talent visa (R) with a maximum validity of ten years, and a maximum stay of 180 days, and do not need to apply for a Work Permit upon entry. Foreign experts who plan to stay in China for no more than 90 days, could apply for the invitation letter for foreign experts visiting China, which will be issued within 3 working days, and would enable the holders to apply for a visitor visa (F). High-level foreign talents with permanent resident status in China, once reaching the legal age for retirement, who have not yet paid for the old-age insurance for 15 years, could continue to pay to the full length of 15 years, and enjoy the treatment of the old-age insurance according to related rules. Encouraging employers to purchase commercial insurance for the foreign talents during their terms of work, as a supplement for the social insurance.
II. Cultivating high tech industrial clusters with core competitiveness
7. Strengthening efforts to tackle key industrial and technological problems. Focusing on key areas such as the modern marine industry, new-generation information technology, advanced manufacturing, new energy and new material, bio-pharmaceutical, industrial Internet, new energy vehicle, rail transportation equipment, etc, and seek breakthroughs in key generic technologies, cutting-edge and leading technologies, in order to promote the fast development of strategic emerging industries, and empower the transformation and upgrading of traditional advantageous industries. Optimizing project organization mechanisms and management patterns, and provide a maximum of 5 million RMB supporting funds to the projects of key technological breakthroughs. The case-by-case approval policy will apply to those original and major disruptive technologies with vast market opportunities.
8. Building professional incubation platforms. Implementing the special action of building benchmark incubators, introducing high-level incubation institutions from home and abroad, supporting qualified leading enterprises, universities and institutions to establish professional incubators, with a view of encouraging integrated development among different types of innovation entities, thus building 10 benchmark incubators of first grade within China in 3 years. Such incubators will be provided with a maximum of 10 million RMB in form of subsidy or equity investment. Encouraging offshore incubation. Guiding the high-level development of the incubators. The newly recognized national incubators and professional maker space will be awarded 1 million RMB, while the outstanding national, provincial and municipal incubators will be awarded according to the results of the performance assessment, to the maximum of 300,000 RMB. Actively using the market resources to organize influential activities such as innovation and entrepreneurship competitions. Such activities could receive a maximum subsidy of 2 million RMB. The case-by-case approval policy will be applied to major activities.
9. Strengthening the cultivation of science and technology-oriented enterprises. Fully implementing inclusive favorable policies such as the additional tax deductions for enterprises' research and development costs, preferential income tax for high-tech enterprises, and extending the period for the rollover of losses, etc. Establishing the catalog of innovative products first purchased by Qingdao, and promoting the sales and application of innovative products by first purchase or order. The small and medium-sized science and technology enterprises could receive a maximum annual award of 1 million RMB, accounting for 5% of the research and development costs eligible for the additional tax deductions. Promoting and implementing the use of scientific and technological innovation coupons, and provide a maximum annual subsidy of 200,000 RMB for small and medium science and technology enterprises to purchase R&D, testing and inspection services.
Reinforcing the cultivation of high-tech enterprises. Companies recognized as high-tech corporations for the first time will be awarded 150,000 RMB. In addition, they will receive a maximum award of 300,000 RMB, accounting for 10% of the R&D costs eligible for additional tax deductions in the same year. If a company is eligible for both the corporate R&D award and the first-time high-tech company award, it will be awarded for one time by the highest standard. The repeatedly recognized high-tech companies will receive 100,000 RMB.
10. Introducing high-growth science and technology enterprises. Supporting the use of funds to attract investment. Legal person corporations with substantial business activities in Qingdao attracted by funds could be included in the list of government-funded projects. Encouraging the introduction of high-growth science and technology enterprises from home and abroad. The case-by-case approval policy will apply to major projects. Supporting the companies to participate in China Innovation & Entrepreneurship Competition. Companies winning the competition in Qingdao area will be awarded 300,000 RMB, those winning in national level competitions will be awarded the same amount as the national award. The winning companies from outside of Qingdao who choose to be relocated in Qingdao will receive a maximum award of 1 million RMB.
11. Supporting the high-tech enterprises to go public. Carrying out high-tech company listing action, by establishing a cultivation database for the companies seeking to go public. The companies in the database are encouraged to set up municipal technological innovation centers and will be provided 200,000 RMB from the municipal science and technology program. The companies in the database will also receive a maximum annual award of 3 million RMB, accounting for 20% of the newly added part of the R&D costs eligible for additional tax deductions compared to the last year. At the same time, companies in the database will also be supported on multiple dimensions such as recommendation for science and research project approval at national and provincial levels, science and technology awards, platform building, talent policies, science and technology financing, etc.
III. Creating healthy ecology conducive to innovation and entrepreneurship
12. Continuously raising the fiscal investment in science and technology. Prioritizing and raising fiscal investment in science and technology at all levels. Using the fiscal fund as leverage, and combining various tools of research funding, equity investment, subsidized loan, and risk compensation, so as to motivate companies and social capitals to fund scientific and technological innovation, thus promoting R&D investment in the whole society.
13. Deepening the reform in science and technology administration. Optimizing the forming mechanism of science and technology programs and projects, publicly collecting suggestions for the project guide all year round, and regularly publishing the project guide. Organizing major scientific and technological projects in different ways such as project approval via competition, fixed commissioning, projects assessed by expert panels with the successful candidates published. In this manner, the chain of organizing is innovated and implemented as a whole.
Establishing emergency response mechanism for tackling scientific and technological problems, by opening up "Green Channel" and streamlining work procedures. The emergency projects related to public security risk control could be organized and carried out in the way of special projects and fixed commissioning. Establishing consultation mechanism for the decision-making regarding scientific and technological innovation, and guide the high-level domestic think tanks for scientific and technological innovation to participate in the major research tasks in Qingdao, such as strategic planning and scientific and technological reform. A maximum subsidy of 1 million RMB will be provided.
Launching a pilot scheme of lump-sum project-funding, where the direct funding allocation right will be fully authorized to the institution undertaking a project. The institution will examine and approve expenditures for the projects undertaken on the basis of facts. Before inspection and acceptance, the undertaking institution should duly put the expenditures on record to the administrative department of the project, as well as Qingdao Municipal Bureau of Science and Technology. Simplifying the process management of projects, and reducing the frequency of checking. On the basis of completing the obligatory targets, it is viewed as fit for inspection and acceptance, if 80% of the anticipated targets are fulfilled. Practicing categorized assessment for the performance of research projects, and gradually replacing inspection and acceptance with performance assessment.
Establishing a fault-tolerant mechanism for scientific and technological innovation. Those who have performed due diligence, duties and obligations, yet still not able to fulfill all the tasks, once assessed by the experts as such, could conclude the project, without affecting the applications for other projects afterward. Emphasizing research integrity and science and technology ethics.
14. Promoting deep integration of science, technology and finance. We should give full play to various types of funds such as the fund of funds for scientific innovation, focus on key industries, and support the development of science and technology enterprises with financing. Exploring new patterns of comprehensive risk compensation for science and technology credit and loans. Establishing a white list of science and technology credit and loans to guide the commercial banks to place more credit and loans. For the first loan and added loan of the companies on the white list, the banks could draw a certain percentage to set up a risk reserve pool, thus subsidize any credit or loan loss that occurred by the standard of pilot financial institutes. Encouraging commercial banks to set up branches specializing in science and technology, and promote various financial products for science and technology, including investment, insurance and loan products.
15. Attracting high-level talents for innovation and entrepreneurship. Attracting and training more high-level talents from home and abroad, improving the assessment system for scientific and technological talents, with orientation to innovation abilities, quality and contribution. Carrying out the Qingdao Leading Talents Program, and subsidizing the talents according to the assessed level of their projects. The talents who started scientific and technological companies, and secured more than 20 million RMB in equity cash financing accumulatively in 3 years, are candidates for the Leading Talents Program. Carry out the trial practice of "selecting talents by competitions". The talents whose projects won the second place and above in the national, provincial or municipal competitions for innovation and entrepreneurship, who have located their business in the Qingdao Area of China(Shandong) Pilot Free Trade Zone or the China-SCO Local Economic and Trade Cooperation Demonstration Area, once assessed as eligible, could be included in the Leading Talents Program directly.
16. Innovating the mechanism for commercializing scientific and technological achievements. Encouraging and supporting universities and institutions based in Qingdao to be national or provincial pilot of the practice of granting researchers employed in research institutions ownership or permanent use rights over the scientific and technological outputs they produce on the job. The following items will not be included in the total performance salaries of public institutions: labor costs for research staff in competitive research projects, performance expenditure in indirect costs, bonus and payment withdrawal in activities recognized and registered in technical contracts such as technical development, consultation and service, as well as bonus and payment costs for the transformation of scientific and technological achievements produced on the job.
Encouraging universities, guided by market application, to set up technological transfer and transformation base with independent legal person status, carry out concept verification, pilot test and maturation of science and technology achievements. The outstanding universities will receive comprehensive awards and subsidies according to the results of their annual performance assessment. Supporting qualified universities to set up disciplines related to technological transfer and provide qualifications accordingly, building national talent cultivation base for technological transfer, and training teams of professional technological managers.
Promoting the building of professional and market-based institutions for technological transfer, supporting the service stations for technological contracts to strengthen their services aimed to connect industries, education and research. The stations will receive a maximum subsidy of 500,000 RMB according to their turnover of technological contracts registered last year. Improving the assessment system for the market-based science and technology achievements, and promoting the assessment for technological maturity.
In the case of the measures in previous files and regulations differ from this policy, the measures in this policy should be practiced. Qingdao Municipal Bureau of Science and Technology, Qingdao Municipal Bureau of Finance and other related departments are responsible for stipulating associated documents and providing explanations.
This notice takes effect on the date of issuance, valid until December 31, 2022.
General Office of Qingdao Municipal People's Government
October, 21, 2020